Sunday, January 9, 2011

Young Bordeaux

Among the wines consumed over the Christmas and New Years holiday season was this one: 2001 Calon-Segur from Saint-Estephe, Bordeaux, France. I acquired this fun wine from my friend Adam Zuckert who represents the portfolio The Old and Rare Wine Co., which has some interesting wines such as this Bordeaux and many others.

This 9 year old wine was fresh and youthful, silky and medium-bodied, without too much age or development on the palate. It seemed like it was ready to easily age another 20 years and would likely taste more interesting and better after maybe another 10 years. The wine did not show excessive tannin or green pepper aspects, which for some reason I was concerned that it might - it might be that I have tasted another vintage of Calon-Segur before in the past and experienced grippy tannins or over-the-top green pepper flavors. But not in this 2001. It was well balanced and very easy to drink.

We enjoyed this with a roast leg of lamb and it was very enjoyable. I would buy this wine again, cellar it longer, and open it among good friends or family.

I'll post some more wine notes of some other wines enjoyed over the holidays shortly!

Hope you all had some delicious wines over the holidays.

2 comments:

SixBalloons said...

Oooh next time I'd like to see the roast leg of lamb!

Nancy Deprez said...

Okay I'll do pics next time of the food! :)