Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Prohibition

I'm on a 10-day course of antibiotics, and have taken myself off all alcohol. And prior to starting the antibiotic, I had not been feeling great (little did I know I had pneumonia). So there were several days of self-imposed non-drinking even before the prohibition of the antibiotic treatment. At this point, I'm about 5 days from finishing my course of drugs, and starting to feel better (GREAT compared to before), so wine looking really good. I even had to go to a wine dinner (of which I was one of the hosts) and not drink (much). Today I had a taste of a really good Spanish tempranillo put in front of me - I had to taste - the wine had a terrific, enticing nose, like a really good red wine should, and the palate was nice and meaty, smoked meat.... great. What I would have given to have a glass of that. But sigh..... I want to get completely better, so had to do without.

What I'm learning in my temporary prohibition is that life is sweeter with wine. A glass of Riesling here after work, a glass of rich red wine there later with dinner, it's not a bad thing. And I've got a great bottle of one of my favorite Champagnes sitting in the closet waiting for me (non-vintage Billiot.... yum) - this was supposed to be our celebratory Champagne after running a half marathon, but since I bailed on that (sick), I couldn't celebrate either (would have been a waste).

Well, when I finish this course of antibiotics, I think that Champagne's getting opened!

Oh, the wine dinner the other night - yes, a wild game dinner paired with German reds, and some German Rieslings thrown in for good measure. I was under the weather so enjoyed the evening somewhat but not to the full extent that it should have been enjoyed. Others told me it was terrific, so that was good! My favorite items at dinner were the boar sausage (so flavorful - really, we should eat more boar) and the sitka deer medallions from Japan. I have never heard of Sitka Deer - it sounds like something from Alaska. But it was tender and delicious. We even had venison liver which was quite interesting....

What showed well: 2007 Schnaitmann Samtrot, 2007 Schnaitmann Lemberger, and 2007 Heger Pinot Noir. I also liked the dessert wine which was paired with a hunk of Cambozola blue cheese: 1999 Bert Simon Wurtzberg Riesling Gold Cap. Fresh and zippy after 11 years.

3 comments:

Sara Louise said...

YES! Life is definitely sweeter! A few weeks ago I was on antibiotics and couldn't have a glass, it was fine when I felt sick, but after I was feeling better but finishing the prescription is was pure torture! And I made the mistake of watching Cougar Town. Everyone is drinking wine in that show the entire time!! TORTURE!

Samantha Dugan said...

Poor thing. Get better and I think Billiot is a perfect, "I'm no longer feeling like ass" celebration bottle.

Nancy Deprez said...

Hey thanks ladies! Wine is something it seems that I've taken for granted. When I can't have it now, it is totally forbidden fruit.

Hey Sara Louise - I love that show Cougar Town! And yes, they drink wine all the time and mock the fact. Love love.

Samantha - totally agree that Billiot is a terrific Champagne to celebrate not feeling like ass anymore. Very life affirming.