Thursday, January 8, 2009

Does Agrapart know how well its bubbles go with Dim Sum???

So I'm sitting here, great glass of wine in hand (2007 Salwey Henkenberg Pinot Gris Grosses Gewachs, Baden, Germany) and NO CHEESE which is very upsetting because cheese would be so great right now, maybe a bit of Petit Basque (oh who am I kidding, I cannot eat just a BIT of Petit Basque), maybe some cave-aged Gruyere, maybe some other gooey cheese............ but I was trying after the new year to give up something, and I thought, hey I'll not eat cheese for a while! What a silly idea.

Anyway, I digress.

I wanted to report that last weekend I had the most wonderful brunch that I have had in a long time. No, it didn't involve omlettes or crepes or anything like that. Instead, it was Dim Sum at Ocean Star with some of my favorite people: Samantha & Carl & my hubby Johan! We got there early, at 10:30 am or so, and with our bottles to have with our dim sum delicacies.

Sam brought non-vintage Agrapart Rose while I brought non-vintage Agrapart "7 Cru" Blanc de Blancs. Oh they were so lovely, both, with the morsels of steamed dumplings, noodles wrapped around barbecue pork and shrimp, various wraps, even chicken's feet!

We started with the Blanc de Blancs, a favorite of mine because the price is always so right and the wine always delivers. Even so, I hadn't had it in a while so was very excited to drink it this particular Sunday morning. And of course it was great - clean, crisp, refreshing, and complex enough for this fun meal - I kept finishing my glass and had to slow myself down!

Next up was the Rose, which was darking in color than I last remembered it, and according to Sam, it did get reformulated somehow, adding more roundness and richness to the palate. The wine was delicious, slightly fruity and succulently dry, a rose worth drinking any day of the week.

By the middle of this fun meal, I made a conclusion: I might never have dim sum again without Champagne!!!

You know, this is one of those times when I am really happy to know a thing or two about wine. Times like these really enhance those experiences, like dim sum, that one has known since childhood.

1 comment:

Samantha Dugan said...

Nancy,
So glad we got together for dim sum, we have only been talking about it for years!! Seriously, Champagne and dim sum is such a lovely match and it seems that Agrapart is the one of the better choices....taken it, (both flavors) a couple times and it just seems to sing with that food.