Thursday, October 30, 2008

Holy Scheurebe, Batman!


Okay, it has been a while since I have been inspired to write about a wine, a wine that surprises me with its goodness.

The wine: 2007 Pfeffingen Scheurebe Spatlese. Okay, I wish I were writing this wine up so I could sell more of it, but the fact is that it is almost sold out, ie. there are about 2 cases left of it and for some reason, we cannot get more of it from the winery.

Probably because there just isn't that much Scheurebe planted.

Pfeffingen is an estate in the Pfalz that is owned and operated by Doris Eymael and her son Jan Eymael. Doris is the ex-sister-in-law of Monchhof's Robert Eymael in the Mosel. Above is a pic of me with Doris and Jan. Jan is a talented winemaker who finished top of his class at Geisenheim, the German equivalent of U.C. Davis.
Anyhoo... the wine: aromatic grapefruit and starfrut on the nose, followed by a mouthful of exotic citrus - mandarin orange, pink grapefruit, and tangerine, bright piquant acidity that gives it that special something that Gewurztraminer doesn't have. What a fun wine!!!
That's it!

No comments: